Martech Stats and Trends for 2021
by Graham Charlton, on 31 August, 2021
Marketing technology (Martech) is one of the fastest growing markets, with the global market estimated to be worth $121 billion in 2019. With growth continuing, that figure is likely to be much higher in 2021.
To help you understand the size of the market, growth in the industry, and the different marketing technologies used by companies, we've compiled some of the most interesting and useful Martech data.
Market size and growthThe martech landscape now numbers more than 8,000 vendors, a staggering growth rate of 5,233%
- The UK Marketing Technology Landscape contains 714 vendors, and just two of the six categories contain more than half of all vendors - Content & Experience and Social & Relationships.
The snapshot stats
- According to data from WARC and BDO, the Martech industry in the UK and North America was estimated to be worth $65.9 billion in 2019, with the global market valued at $121 billion. (via ClickZ).
- While overall marketing budgets were tightened during the Covid-19 pandemic, the proportion of spending on marketing technology remains strong, with Martech taking a 26.6% share of marketing budgets according to a Gartner survey of CMOs.
- Gartner's survey also found that 68% of CMOs are expecting their spending on Martech to increase during 2022.
Growth of Martech solutions by type
- The volume of available Martech solutions grew by 13.6% between 2019 and 2020.
- Perhaps as a result of the increase in data privacy legislation and public awareness of the issue, data solutions grew by 25.5% year on year.
Investment and acquisition in the Martech industry
- Martech M&A activity grew by 214% YOY between Q2 2020 and Q2 2021, according to Luma's Q2 2021 Market Report.
- The Customer Data Platform (CDP) industry continues to grow, taking $2.2 billion in funding, and numbering more than 100 vendors and 8,400 employees (Martech Alliance CDP Buyer's Guide).
- The number of mergers and acquisitions in the Martech sector worldwide from Q1 2013 to Q1 2020 (Statista)
This post is part of our Martech stats series, which compiles key data and trends. Others include: